
We started the pitocin to induce contractions around 5:30 am. The doctor came in a little before 8am to check my progress and broke my water. After that point the contractions became much much stronger and began to occur every couple of minutes. I decided to go ahead and get my epidural by 10 am due to the discomfort. I was a little scared to have it done, but it was amazing! The process was not painful at all, just felt a little weird. It was totally worth the relief that it brought. I had one of my favorite anesthesia faculy, Dr Singh put it in. She did not disappoint! 

Me with Dr Singh
Through out the day I had visits from some of the girls in my residency program (Diana, Supriya, and Amy), my parents, Bryan's parents, and then later Karen and Kim. The labor was progressing, albeit, pretty slowly all day. I was pretty comfortable and able to enjoy visiting with our guests and thinking about baby Elizabeth.
Through out the day I had visits from some of the girls in my residency program (Diana, Supriya, and Amy), my parents, Bryan's parents, and then later Karen and Kim. The labor was progressing, albeit, pretty slowly all day. I was pretty comfortable and able to enjoy visiting with our guests and thinking about baby Elizabeth.
The Meadows Family

The Garrett Family
The nurse, Dr Beard, and Bryan were with me as we did a few "trial" pushes to see how much I was able to move the baby. Things were progressing very fast from that point. They broke down the bed into the delivery conformation and called in my mom and Bryan's mom too who we wanted present for the birth.
It only took about 5 good pushes to get the baby out. I am not going to lie, the pushing was the most miserable part of the whole day. It was hard work and it was pretty painful on top of that. When her head emerged she had the cord wrapped around her neck once. Because of this Dr Beard had to cut the cord instead of Bryan. Once she came out they placed her on my chest. It was pretty amazing to finally see the little baby that has been growing inside me for the last 9 months. I noticed all of her dark hair and chubby cheeks right away.



The nurse took her away to clean her off and get her breathing better. She was a bit early (3 weeks) born at 37 weeks gestation. Once the nurse evaluated her initally, she was weighed and measured. She was 7lbs even and a whopping 20 inches long. They wrapped her up and Bryan brought her over to me. We held her and looked at her for a long time. Our families came in and also got a chance to hold her too. This was a special time for all of us. The team from the nursery came to our room to do a second evaluation of her breathing. She was having a little trouble so they had to take her away to be evaluated further.


Mimi and Papa Garrett
Proud Aunt Karen
Papou with Ellie
The Meadows Girls
With Dr. Beard-our OBGYN
In the nursery they watched Elizabeth for 6 hours. Her breathing continued to be very rapid and she was requiring extra oxygen. It was decided to take her to the Neonatal ICU. Before they took her there they came by my room with her so I could see her again. It was 5 am and she was wide awake. She was looking all around in the dark room. It was wonderful to see her and hold her!
Our little Family together for the first time

Daddy and Elizabeth before going home

First time in the car seat

Ready to go home

First Car ride
Since coming home she has been such a joy. She is looking healthy and is eating well, which makes her momma happy. We are so blessed to have her and we can't wait to watch her grow ;-)
Papou taking care of his first grandaughter

After her bath






5 comments:
Amazing :) She is beautiful! Congratulations again
Laura,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of the details of the labor, birth, and your first few wonderful days together. I am so glad that you were able to push through and deliver her yourself! That's the one thing I really missed with the c-section and all...I think every momma wants to have that experience, and I'm so happy that you did it!
I'm also glad to hear that they didn't keep her in NICU longer than 3 days. That's great, and from the pictures, she looks so healthy...and absolutely beautiful.
I know that you and Bryan and your families are enjoying this awe inspiring time, and I can totally relate with feelings of complete joy, but also of concern, anxiety and being completely overwhelmed too! It certainly is an amazing season of life.
Congratulations again, to all three of you! I miss you, and I can't wait to see you (hopefully end of March when we come down for the VBT anniversary...if you are up to it...we can be in touch about that later.)
Lots of love, prayers, and blessings,
Jen and the Davises
That is great! Your OB looks like a kindergartner. But, it sounds like you were in good hands!
Your labor sounds so much like mine, only I wasn't able to push through my 9 cm cervix so I had the C-section. It wasn't too bad, but I'm glad you escaped it if you didn't want it!
Hugs.
She is SO perfect Laura! I'm so happy for you and glad that all is well now. I have to agree--your OB is what....12?!
So proud of you and happy to hear everything turned out wonderful. She is gorgeous!!!
YEA!! She is gorgeous! Glad to hear you made it through the labor just the way you wanted! Enjoy these first days as they go too quickly! COngrats to you and Bryan and welcome to parenthood!
Post a Comment