Sunday, September 7, 2008

Bryan and Laura + 1

As many of you know, Bryan and I are expecting our first baby February 28th 2009! We are so thankful that we have made it to this point. As of today I am a little over 15 weeks pregnant. We have had quite a few ultrasounds already. The one below is a profile view from our 12 week appointment.


We are so happy to announce this news, as the last few months have been very trying for us on the baby front.

I agonized about even sharing my experience on this blog. However, after going through this and having moments where I felt like the only person in the world this has happened to, I figured I would share our story in the hopes that someone else out there may be going through the same thing.


We decided that after Christmas we were finally ready to have a baby. Things started out very smoothly and we actually got pregnant our first month. Unfortunately, we lost the baby very early. Despite the fact that it was such an early loss, we were both devistated to say the least. Our doctor felt it was a fluke and reassured us that we would likely concieve a healthy baby on the next go round. Unfortunately, the next time we got pregnant, the same exact scenario replayed itself. We again lost our second baby at 5.5 weeks. 2 miscarriages in less than 6 months.

Me being the hypochondriac opted to seek additional advice through a specialist called a Reproductive Endocrinologist. Our new Doctor, Dr Huang, sent both me and Bryan for numerous tests to see if any problem could be identified. As with most couples in our situation, no cause could be found. Through Dr. Huang's guidance and new plan we tried for the third time which proved to be a charm...praise God!

We have been very apprehensive over the past few weeks because of our history. Despite this, blood test after blood test, ultrasound after ultrasound, showed that this little baby was growing strong and right on track. I do not think we have ever felt so blessed in our entire lives!


I never quite understood the depth of grieving that a couple goes through with a miscarriage until I experienced it personally. Some might think, what is the big deal, it was just a clump of cells? To me, it was more of loosing the dream that you had for that unborn child. When that dream doesn't happen, for whatever reason, it leaves behind a very large void.

Onto happier topics, we hopefully will be able to find out the baby's gender this coming Saturday September 13th. I will be a little past 16 weeks....still may be iffy to tell, but cross your fingers the doctor will be able to get a good view. People ask all the time what sex we would prefer. I can honestly say after going through everything that we have experienced, we will truly be happy either way. We are simply praying that the baby continues to be strong and healthy.

I also felt the baby move for the first time this week. What an amazing experience!

I will continue to keep you updated!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay Laura and Bryan! We are so so so happy for you all, and can't wait to hear whether it's a boy or a girl. Of course it doesn't matter, but it's nice to know! We are keeping you three in our prayers!